Prep highlights 2/18
- With 12 semifinalists and all 14 wrestlers alive overall, defending state champion Clovis leads Bakersfield 184.5-152.5 after the first day of the Central Section Yosemite Divisionals. Reigning individual state champs Daniel Gaytan (120 pounds) and Nick Nevills (285) headline the Cougars’ semifinalists when the tournament resumes today in Lemoore. Also reaching the semifinals are Lemoore’s Isaiah Martinez (152) and Clovis West’s Nikko Reyes (182), both state champions last year. The top seven in each weight class advance to next weekend’s Masters tournament at East Bakersfield.
- Three-time state champion Alex Cisneros heads a list of 12 Selma semifinalists as the Bears took a 126.5-80 lead on Wasco after the first day of the Sequoia/Sierra Divisionals. Cisneros, ranked No. 1 in the state at 132 pounds, has a potential showdown with Kingsburg’s state No. 2-ranked Javier Gasca in the final. The top four in each weight class move on to Masters.
- Bullard’s Cassie Fasi scored twice and the No. 3 Knights shut out sixth-seeded Clovis 3-0 in the section Division I playoffs.
- Sixth-seeded McLane moved on in D-IV, beating No. 3 Mission Oak 2-0 as Ashley Mitchell and Thannya Tejadilla scored goals.
- Julia Jarquin scored 14 points and Selma held on to beat Kingsburg 48-44 to clinch the outright Central Sequoia League championship. Coach Paul Romig has earned what is believed to be a state first by capturing a title with his fourth different team.
- Kristy Savantanyadeth scored 14 points as No. 10 Clovis shocked Clovis West 43-30 on the Golden Eagles’ court, helping create a tie between CW and Buchanan for the TRAC championship. Brittaney Ellison and Megan Lee scored 16 and 15 points as the No. 8 Bears beat Clovis North 71-52.
- No. 2 Central and No. 6 Buchanan each won to share the TRAC title. Sophomore Murshid Randle contributed 27 points and 13 rebounds in the Grizzlies’ 78-52 rout of Clovis East, and Alex Fertig poured in 22 points as the Bears jumped on Clovis North early en route to a 60-48 victory.
- Jose Hernandez scored eight of his 22 points in the fourth quarter, powering a 23-15 sprint to the finish, as Parlier (11-14) shocked D-V’s No. 1 Fresno Christian 66-60 in the East Sequoia League — snapping the Eagles’ 21-game winning streak.