Miss California Pageant begins; preliminary winners from SoCal
The Miss California Pageant kicked off Tuesday at the William Saroyan Theatre in Fresno with the preliminary evening wear and talent competitions.
Miss Gavilan Hills Lauren Smolka, 22, of Glendora was the preliminary evening wear winner.
Miss Southern California Regional Leah Cecil, 22, of Garden Grove and Miss South Coast Stephanie Patterson, 22, of La Canada Flintridge tied in the preliminary talent contest. Cecil played the harp; Patterson played the piano.
The 58 Miss California contestants include nine central San Joaquin Valley local pageant winners:
- Miss Central Valley Desiraee Olvera-Smith, 22, of Visalia
- Miss Clovis Katelen Weisenberger, 22, of Kerman, a student at San Joaquin College of Law in Clovis
- Miss Delta Valley Prisca Shiralian, 22, of Fresno
- Miss Fresno County Morgan Edwards, 19, of Clovis
- Miss Fullerton Whitney Leyva, 24, of Fresno, a student at Cal State Fullerton
- Miss Golden Empire Sabrina Ziegler, 21, of Porterville
- Miss Kings County Amber Purdy, 22, of Hanford
- Miss Merced County Caelin Nieto, 17, of Merced
- Miss Tulare County Danielle Lickey, 19, of Visalia
There are also three from Bakersfield:
- Miss Central California Regional Izamar Olaguez, 19
- Miss Kern County Area Grace Pusavat, 24
- Miss Sierra Nevada Caylynn Simonson, 21
And the winner of the open Miss Yosemite Valley pageant in Atwater was Angela Zautcke, 23, of San Diego.
Preliminary competitions continue nightly through Friday at 7 p.m. The Miss California State Finals are Saturday, also beginning at 7 p.m. Tickets for all nights are available at the Fresno Convention Center Box Office.
In addition to the Miss California competition, California’s Outstanding Teen will be selected at the conclusion of Friday’s show.
Event organizers say that more than $113,500 in educational scholarships will be awarded this week to contestants.