The Warzone: Bowl proves too big a hill for Bulldogs
Enter the Warzone, your personal 2-minute warning.
- For all the flak Pat Hill took over his 4-7 record in bowl games, at least his teams were competitive in them. (The 2010 Humanitarian Bowl was the lone exception).
At kickoff during Monday’s Hawaii Bowl, these Bulldogs were still lounging poolside and sipping tropical drinks.
- In their past two bowl appearances, the Bulldogs have been outscored 83-27.
That’s one stat you won’t find in next year’s media guide.
- Hard to believe Southern Methodist defensive end Margus Hunt has only been playing football for three years.
The 6-foot-8 Estonian made the Bulldogs offensive line look like it only learned to block last week.
- Derek Carr fell on the sword for his O-line, which is just what you’d expect from a quarterback and team captain.
But there were times Carr couldn’t drop two steps without getting swarmed.
- Twenty-two yards on 13 carries? Hardly a fitting final memory for Robbie Rouse’s record-setting career …
- There goes any shot of Fresno State starting off 2013 with a Top 25 preseason ranking.
But the Bulldogs should still be among the favorites in the Mountain West, whether Boise State stays, joins the Big East or moves to the AFC North.
- Boise State reportedly asked the Mountain West and Big East to let them keep their home television rights as a condition for choosing a league.
Considering no team in any conference in college football has such an arrangement, we’re just surprised President Bob Kustra didn’t insist the Broncos get to travel with a blue field.
- So long to Chris Ault, who stepped down following 28 seasons at Nevada.
By our count, this is the third time Ault has retired as a coach. And probably not the last.
- A report by the Associated Press links extreme weight gain among college football players to performance-enhancing drugs.
Hope they factored in all the young men who pack on pounds taking nothing stronger than dorm food.
- If Colin Kaepernick plays poorly today — even if the San Francisco 49ers beat Arizona — Jim Harbaugh should start Alex Smith in the playoffs.
Harbaugh won’t, but he should.
- Chuck Pagano’s return to the sidelines after three months of chemotherapy treatments for leukemia ranks as one of the most inspiring sports stories of the year, if not ever.
Let’s hope the Indianapolis Colts aren’t a better team under Bruce Arians.
- For no particular reason: Marcellus Armstrong
- If Adrian Wiggins indeed winds up at Clovis East High (as has been reported and widely speculated), it’ll be a long time before you should believe anything Clovis Unified says when it comes to coaching searches.
- The Fresno State basketball team should end its four-game skid today against the Division II Sonoma State Seawolves.
Now if the Bulldogs were playing the Sonoma State Cossacks, we’d really be frightened.
By Marek Warszawski