High school winter sports highlights for Wednesday, Feb. 13
– Clovis West earned a quarterfinal date Friday with top-seeded Bakersfield as Nick Marrone scored twice in the eighth-seeded Golden Eagles’ 4-2 victory over No. 9 Tulare Western in the opening round of the Central Section Division I playoffs. Fifth-seeded Clovis North — after Gerrardo Castillo scored two goals in a 3-0 win over No. 12 Clovis East — will play at No. 4 Centennial. Seventh-seeded Bullard beat No. 10 Buchanan 1-0 as Alex Yokley booted home a penalty kick in the 23rd minute. The Knights will face No. 2 Central, which had a bye.
– Eighth-seeded Sanger edged No. 9 Edison 3-1 in D-II, getting goals from Jerry Gutierrez, Tyler Rouff and Steven Villagomez. The Apaches will face top-seeded Golden Valley.
– Selma was No. 1 in The Bee’s final overall rankings and lived up to that and then some in its D-III opening-round match, routing No. 16 Garces 8-0 as Octavio Garcia and Moises Martinez each scored two goals. Next up for the Bears is No. 8 Foothill, which beat No. 9 Mt. Whitney 2-0. Second-seeded Roosevelt beat Yosemite 3-0 with the help of goals from Adrian Torres, Santiago Gaspar and Pasqual Cardenas. Sixth-seeded Dinuba downed No. 11 Madera South 2-0 on goals by Eddie Juarez and Ernie Vegas.
– In D-IV, No. 7 Parlier beat No. 10 Kerman 4-3 as Johann Ramirez, Jose Menchaca, Jesus Martinez and Lucio Murillo all scored. Parlier moves on to face No. 2 Mira Monte.
– James Hernandez scored in each half as No. 8 Liberty-Madera Ranchos beat No. 9 Fowler 2-0 in D-V.
– Hanford, ranked No. 2 in the section by The Bee, secured its eighth straight West Yosemite League title, beating Mt. Whitney 52-12 behind 12 points each from Gabby Gomez and Brooke Johnson. The Bullpups (21-4, 11-0) have won 83 straight WYL games. Hanford also has won at least 20 games in eight consecutive seasons.
– Kerman’s Itzelani Herrera almost outscored Madera Ranchos by herself, finishing with 15 points during a 40-16 win.
– Dahlia Lopez scored 12 points as Yosemite defeated Chowchilla 53-30 in duel of teams that entered 7-1 in the North Sequoia League.
– Fourth-ranked Edison did its part to set up an end-of-week title showdown in the County/Metro Athletic Conference, as T.J. Viney scored 14 points in a 72-38 win over Memorial. The Tigers (27-4, 8-1) on Friday host No. 1 Bullard (23-2, 9-0). The Knights had five players score in double figures, with Adam Armstead getting 14, in their 102-40 response against Madera. Bullard led 33-1 after one quarter.
– Third-ranked Central outscored eighth-ranked Clovis North 21-4 in the first quarter en route to a 52-39 victory in Tri-River Athletic Conference play that clinched at least a conference title share for the Grizzlies. Murshid Randle had 16 points for Central, which closes at home against 5-18 Clovis East on Friday.
– Curtis McCoy went off for 26 points as Roosevelt defeated Reedley 59-36 in North Yosemite League action.