Prep highlights: Girls wrestlers to chase state titles
The third CIF State Girls Wrestling Invitational is today and Saturday at Lemoore High.
Wrestling begins at 11 a.m. today and 9 a.m. Saturday, with the finals at 6 p.m. Central Section Masters champion Porterville has five qualifiers — Sabrina Sandoval (108), Tasia Lopez (126 pounds), Abigail Moreno (146), Natalee Ozuna (154) and Reyna Pina (165) — as it looks to challenge two-time defending champion West Covina for the team title.
Ozuna was seventh at 154 last year and fifth at 165 in 2011. In all, 28 Central Section wrestlers are in the state tourney, including Masters champs Priscilla Lopez (114) and Rose Aguilar (118) of Edison, Amber Quintana (122) and Elizabeth Salazar (189) of Selma, Angelica Llanes (103) and Kassandra Castruita (126) of Arvin, Reedley’s Yvonne Arreola (132), Sierra Pacific’s Samantha Chacano (138) and Cesar Chavez’s Anissa Rodriguez (98).
– Brittaney Allison scored 11 of her 18 points in the second half and Brittany Sims 10 of her 16 as No. 5 Edison pulled away from No. 4 Clovis for a 59-48 win in a section Division I quarterfinal. The Tigers travel to top-seeded Stockdale on Tuesday. Samantha Earl scored 23 for the Cougars. Briana Watts’ 17 points paced 11 Clovis West scorers as the second-seeded Golden Eagles rolled past No. 10 Buchanan 61-23 to set up a date with two-time defending champ Hanford.
– Corissa Turley’s 18 points, six rebounds and eight steals led No. 3 Redwood past No. 6 Yosemite 47-38 in D-II.
– Erin Pallisi had 24 points and 10 rebounds, Kim Alfors added 13 points and 12 rebounds and top-seeded Selma beat No. 8 Hoover 72-45 in the D-III quarterfinals.
– Christina Castro went 14 of 20 from the free-throw line en route to scoring 25 points as top-seeded Lindsay topped No. 9 Caruthers 50-36 in D-IV. The Cardinals advance to the semis against No. 4 Exeter, which got 12 points and 12 rebounds from Alex Rowell in a 47-41 win over No. 12 Kingsburg.
– Marco Pierce knocked in two and earned the win to lead Clovis West over defending section D-I champion Bullard 7-1 at the Coca-Cola Classic.
TO CALL IN SCORES
Coaches: Report scores and highlights to (559) 441-6379 or firstname.lastname@example.org.